Overlooking Salem's scenic downtown square at Essex and Washington Streets, the Gulu-Gulu Cafe welcomes visitors with tables inside and out. The cafe is the brainchild and heart of Steven Feldman and his wife Marie Feldmannova, who wanted to bring a piece of Prague to Salem. The couple met at the original Café Gulu-Gulu in the Czech Republic, and like its counterpart, wanted to offer a relaxed and comfortable place to hang out, read, eat, and drink.
Gulu-Gulu features local art on the walls in addition to music and spoken word performances during the evenings. "This area has such a pool of talent," says owner Steven Feldmann.
The savory and sweet menu offers a variety of tastes for every palate. Some popular items include crepes, panini sandwiches, exotic cheeses and cured meats. They also boast an extensive beer menu, with brews ranging from Krušovice Imperial Lager (the only place on the North Shore that serves it!) to fruity beers like Fruli Strawberry Beer.
Regardless of what you order, it will be served under the watchful eye of Jack, a five-year-old Boston Terrier and Gulu-Gulu's original mascot, whose face is in numerous places in and around the cafe. In addition to a variety of tasty foods and drinks, Gulu-Gulu also offers its patrons a hardy dose of character, a kind you'd be hard-pressed to find elsewhere.
- Hours: Sun - Tue, 8am - 11pm; Wed - Sat, 8am - 1am
- Handicap Accessible: First floor; handicap bathroom
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Debit Card, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Products: Savory and sweet cafe menu items. Beer, wine and liquors.
- Food & dining options: Low calorie, Natural, Organic, Sugar-free, Vegetarian
- General services: Catering, Eat-in, Phone orders, Prepared foods, Take-out
- Menu link: www.gulu-gulu.com/menu.asp
- Specialties: Exotic cheeses, cured meats, paninis, salads, crepes, desserts, etc.
- ATM: No
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: metered, Paid lot
- Private events: No
- What makes this community special?: "Salem is artistic, fun, slightly edgy... there are great stores here - we just love it." - Owner Gulu Gulu
- Cuisine: American, Bar Food, Belgian, Bistro, Dessert / Ice Cream, French, Italian, Mediterranean, Polish, Sandwiches
- What dish is most representative of the restaurant?: The beer!
- Reservations: Not accepted
- Number of tables: 94
- Features: Breakfast, Brunch, Dancing, Dinner, Group-friendly, Lunch, Outdoor seating, View
- Atmosphere: Bar Scene, Fun, Late-night, Quiet, Romantic, Singles scene
- Food/drink: Yes
- Alcohol served: Yes
- Restrictions: No smoking
- Music specialties: Blues, Classical, Folk, Jazz, Latin, Rock
- Which performer or group that has visited the venue is the most interesting or memorable?: "Art Rock" performances by Walter Sickart and His Army of Broken Toys and Dagmar.