Maybe it was the bacon, lobster, lettuce, tomato and avocado on tortilla chips from Lynn's Blue Ox restaurant that best represented A Taste of Swampscott.
The BLLTA ingredients were both fancy and common, combined to create a new take on a comfort food.
The same could be said of the sampling event itself, where 27 area restaurants served a smorgasbord of specialites, many of them culinary standard bearers, others catering to more adventuresome tastes.
About 550 guests dined on samples in the Swampscott High cafeteria Sunday at a fundraiser for the Class of 2014.
Diners navigated the crowded room, blazing a trail from table to table, letting their noses and stomachs be their guides.
They spooned chowder.
Forked ravioli, hummus and sweet potato.
Downed bbq and cornbread.
They popped tiny cupcakes.
Meanwhile, student councilors and volunteers from the Class of 2014 stationed around the room attended to the patrons' and servers' needs.
The high school juniors sold tickets, greeted patrons, answered questions and sold soda and water.
"They arrived early and ready to work," said Joseph Bennett, the class advisor.
The advisor says the class raised over $13,000, including the silent auction proceeds.
"Bidding wars really started to pick up during the last 30 minutes of the silent auction," he said. "People walked away with some really top notch services, tickets, entertainment packages, as well as some great sports memorabilia."
There is already talk of a 3rd Annual A Taste of Swampscott, he said.
And many restaurants are on board for the class's next big fundraiser — North Shore Pizza War II.
A Taste of Swampscott includes the following restaurants:
- Bistro-At-Home in Winthrop - http://www.bistro-at-home.com/index.php
- The Blue Ox in Lynn - 2009 Best of Boston!http://www.theblueoxlynn.com/
- Caffe' Paolina in Swampscott - http://www.caffepaolina.com/
- Casa Molina in Lynn - http://www.yelp.com/biz/casa-molina-lynn
- Cupcakes by NeeNee in Lynn -http://www.facebook.com/cakesbyneenee
- Dunkin' Donuts in Swampscott - http://www.yelp.com/biz/dunkin-donuts-swampscott-2
- Edible Arrangements in Lynn - http://www.ediblearrangements.com/
- Fantasy Island in Salem - http://fantasyislandsalem.com/
- Five Guys in Swampscott - http://www.fiveguys.com/
- Hungry Betty'sBar andGrille in Marblehead -http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hungry-Bettys-Bar-and-Grille/133636746694036
- Joey D's in Marblehead - http://marblehead.patch.com/articles/joey-d-s-opens-on-pleasant-street
- Kelly's Roast Beef - http://www.kellysroastbeef.com/
- Lincoln's Landing in Swampscott -http://www.udine4less.com/lincolnslanding/
- Lynn Meatland in Lynn - http://www.lynnmeatland.com/
- New England Soup Factory in Salem - http://nesoupfactorysalem.com/
- Paradiso Ristorante in Swampscott -http://www.paradiso.bz/#13469434934591&true
- Pesce Pazzo in Revere - http://www.yelp.com/biz/pesce-pazzo-revere
- Periwinkles Food Shoppe in Salem - http://www.periwinklesinc.com/
- The New Yorker Deli in Salem - http://www.thenewyorkerdeliinc.com/
- Rolly's Tavern on the Square in Lynn - Boston Globe Magazine Top 45 Sandwich in 2011! http://www.rollystavern.com/
- Red Rock Bistro in Swampscott - http://www.redrockbistro.com/
- Swampscott High School Cafeteria
- Sweet Life Confections in Swampscott -http://www.sweetlifeconfections.com/page/page/2880844.htm
- Swizzles Frozen Yogurt in Swampscott - http://www.swizzlesyogurt.com/
- Tatiana's in Lynn - http://tatianasrestaurant.net/
- Tennessee BBQ in Peabody, Braintree, and Framingham -http://www.tennesseesbbq.com/index.html
- Terry's Ice Cream in Marblehead - http://www.terrysicecreamshop.com/
- Tony Lena's in Swampscott - 2nd place winner in the North Shore Pizza War!
- Yan's China Bistro in Swampscott - http://www.yansbistro.com/