- Plan and coordinate recreational, educational and cultural programs for residents of all ages.
- Assist in the analysis of community recreational needs and design programs to fulfill the needs within the department’s financial parameters.
- Recruit, hire, supervise and evaluate intermittent, volunteer, and seasonal summer program staff.
- Provide orientation and in-service training as required.
- Prepare public relations materials, including direct assistance with the creation and preparation of course catalogs, seasonal brochures, and marketing flyers; respond to inquiries from program participants and the general public and resolve customer concerns.
- Oversee and directly assist in the program registration and in the maintenance of participation records.
- Assist in the daily direction of all of the Recreation programs, including supervision of the summer day playground program and seasonal swimming program.
- Plan and coordinate special events; evaluate existing programs and develop new programs.
- Maintain statistical and other records of program activities for budgetary and development purposes.
- Coordinate the maintenance of playground and park facilities and equipment.
- Oversee permitting, rentals and scheduling of fields for youth groups and organizations
A Bachelor’s Degree in recreation or related field and five years’ experience in developing and/or managing recreational programs, preferably in a municipal environment; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates the requisite skills, abilities and knowledge.
Any person wishing to apply should do so, in writing, to Karen Partanen, Director, Park, Recreation and Community Services Department, 5 Broad St., Salem, MA 01970, attention, or via email email@example.com by the close of business day, Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2013.
You can also check out other local job openings here.