City councilors gave a raise to Peaboy Mayor Ted Bettencourt Thursday night -- just over 10 percent or $10,000 -- raising his salary to $105,000 and explained that it may seem like a "huge" bump but is actually making up for 12 years without any increases.
That's because Bettencourt's predecessor Michael Bonfanti regularly refused to accept raises during his decade in office and none were consequently offered. The late Peter Torigian, who spent more than 20 years in the corner office, was the last one to receive a pay raise.
Councilors also said the higher pay better reflects what other area mayors earn now, so we've taken a look at mayor's salaries around Massachusetts.
The following chart does not include every Bay State mayor, but is compiled from the latest data we've been able to find and ranges all the way from $73,000 to $175,000:City/Town Name Salary Salem Kimberley Driscoll $100,000 Beverly William Scanlon $106,047 Lynn Judith Flanagan Kennedy $82,500* Gloucester Carolyn Kirk $100,000* Newburyport Donna Holaday $85,000 Amesbury Thatcher Kezer $80,000 Haverhill James Fiorentini $90,000 Lawrence William Lantigua $100,000 Woburn Scott Galvin $73,000* Revere Daniel Rizzo $111,223 Everett Carlo DeMaria $105,000* Melrose Robert Dolan $99,896* Medford Michael McGlynn $135,500 Malden Gary Christenson $114,000 Somerville Joseph Curtatone $145,000 Boston Thomas Menino $175,000 Weymouth Susan Kay $110,375 Braintree Joseph Sullivan $105,000 Lowell Patrick Murphy $144,000 Springfield Domenic Sarno $95,000
* Kennedy currently earns $82,500, but that's due to a dispute over how the mayor's salary is set. The Daily Item of Lynn reports the Lynn City Council last voted on that salary in 1998 and since then the mayor has been considered a department head with a negotiated salary and other perks. Former Mayor "Chip" Clancy earned more than $145,000 his last year in office.
* Kirk's current salary is $75,000, but the Gloucester City Council has approved a pay raise effective January 2014.
* There is a proposal before the Woburn City Council to increase Galvin's salary to $105,000.
* DeMaria's salary will increase to $105,000 from $85,000 on January 2014.
* Dolan actively sought a $25,000 pay bump from the Melrose Board of Aldermen to put him at $125,000, arguing that he makes less than mayors and town managers in neighboring communities. The board recently agreed and Dolan's new salary is effective January 2014.