The following is an excerpt from the Salem Police Department's log:
Monday, Jan. 28:
- At 5:31 p.m., police responded to a motor vehicle accident in the Walmart parking lot on Highland Avenue. A vehicle backing out of a parking space reportedly hit another vehicle and injured a passenger who was standing in the doorway. The passenger was transported to the hospital to be evaluated.
- At 5:37 p.m., police and fire units responded to a report of an odor of smoke in a building on First Street. Local firefighters removed items from from a dryer after it was found to be overloaded with laundry.
- At 7:52 p.m., police responded to the Congress Market to discuss a past shoplifting incident. The owner of the store told police a man was caught trying to steal four bags of shrimp from the market's frozen seafood section before he was chased from the store. Police reviewed surveillance footage of the incident.
- At 7:53 p.m., police located a man known to have an outstanding warrant walking on North Street. Inegust T. Dyce, 17, of 139 Marlborough Road, Salem ,was arrested for having an outstanding warrant.
- At 8:06 p.m., police responded to a motor vehicle accident on Tremont Street. Bryan G. Buckley, 33, of 17 Cushing St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol.
- At 9:29 p.m., police responded to a reported disturbance at Walyo's Market on Essex Street. John Jerome, 17, was arrested on a charge of shoplifting.
Tuesday, Jan. 29:
- At 12:44 a.m., police responded to a report of a stray dog on a leash on Derby Street.
- At 1:59 a.m., a Cross Street woman called police to report hearing strange noises coming from the basement. Police checked the home and nothing unusual was found.
- At 7:11 a.m., police responded to a report of a party shoveling snow into the street near the intersection of Canal and Hersey streets.
- At 8:13 a.m., police responded to a domestic dispute on Perkins Street. Brian J. McCoy, 31, of 32 Perkins St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of domestic assault and battery.
- At 10:02 a.m., police responded to the Salem Walmart to investigate a past shoplifting incident. A man was reportedly caught on surveillance camera stealing laptop computers from the store.
- At 10:29 a.m., a resident turned over a counterfeit $20 bill.
- At 10:34 a.m., a resident called police to report losing his passport and his green card identification.
- At 12:59 p.m., police arrested a Margin Street man. Eric R. Barbeau, 27, of 19 Beacon St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of breaking and entering a building during the nighttime with intent to commit a felony and larceny of property valued above $250 (leather stool, CD player).
- At 3:29 p.m., a Surrey Road woman called police to report that a man claiming to be a National Grid employee told her she was behind on her payments and that "if she paid him (half) of her bill in cash he would take her name off the list." The man left the area when the woman said she was calling National Grid.
- At 3:42 p.m., police responded to a report of possible elder abuse on Norton Terrace.
- At 4:25 p.m., police responded to a report of shoplifting on Congress Street.
If you have a question about this police log, please send it to Salem Patch.