A woman was taken to the hospital after they were overcome by smoke from burnt food on Sunday afternoon.
The fire happened just before 3 p.m. at 27 Pickman St.
It was initially reported to the Fire Department by a passer-by that saw smoke coming from the building’s first floor.
The first police officer to arrive, Officer Scott Levesque, went inside and helped the woman out, said Salem Police Lt. Scott Englehardt.
She was checked out by medics and taken to Salem Hospital. Both police and fire officials characterized her injuries as minor.
“She took in a little bit of smoke,” said Fire Department Captain Lt. Richard Thomas. "She was more startled than anything else.”
The woman did not suffer any burns and fell asleep while food was cooking, Thomas said.
When firefighters arrived they met the woman on the sidewalk outside. Atlantic Ambulance later took her to the hospital.
The fire was contained to the pan on top of the stove and by 3:15 p.m. the apartment had been vented, Thomas said. Firefighters took the burned pan outside.