The following is an excerpt from the Salem Police Department's log:
Sunday, Dec. 23:
- At 12:16 a.m., police responded to a loud house party on Salem Street.
- At 8:24 a.m., a Howard Street man called police to report finding a large knife in his apartment that he believed was left behind by his daughter who recently moved out. The knife was secured by police.
- At 9:12 a.m., a hypodermic needle was discovered on the sidewalk on Endicott Street.
- At 1:40 p.m., a man called police to report that his car was stolen while parked on North Street.
- At 2:13 p.m., a Lafayette Street man called police to report that a woman threatened to "punch his face in."
- At 2:13 p.m., an Aborn Street woman called police to report that someone cut the brake line on her Mercedes Benz overnight.
- At 4:30 p.m., a woman called police to report that someone broke into her car and stole a purse from the trunk. The woman's Visa card was later used at a Zale's jewelry store in Peabody.
- At 4:38 p.m., police responded to a report of a tree limb down on a motor vehicle on Phillips Street.
- At 5:44 p.m., an employee at Special Thoughts Outlet called police to report that they had tried to detain a shoplifter but they fled into Walmart. Karen Marie Dow, 50, of 26 Commercial St., Lynn, was arrested on a charge of shoplifting merchandise.
- At 6:27 p.m., police and fire units responded to an outdoor fire on Boston Street. A man reportedly told police his grill just got out of control.
- At 6:39 p.m., a woman entered the police station to report that she had been assaulted near the Peabody line. Luigi F. Fernandez, 23, of the streets of Salem, was arrested on two counts of domestic assault and battery.
Monday Dec. 24:
- At 3:53 a.m., police responded to a report of two large coyotes in the reeds near the intersection of Essex and Webb streets.
- At 8:18 a.m., a man called police to report that his car was struck overnight while parked on Peabody Street.
- At 8:39 a.m., police responded to a report of a pedestrian struck by a motor vehicle on North Street. The driver of the car was cited for failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk and the struck pedestrian was transported to Mass General Hospital with "obvious visible injuries." The pedestrian reportedly smashed the car's windshield and was found 9 to 10 feet from the crosswalk he was crossing in.
- At 9:53 a.m., police responded to Canal Street for a report of motor vehicle theft. A man told police he parked his car on the right side of Ropes Street and woke up to find it smashed into a telephone pole at the end of the street.
- At 10:12 a.m., police located a man who they believed stole an envelope of money from Salem District Court. Michael J. Nigro, 32, of the streets of Salem, was arrested on a charge of larceny.
- At 2:56 p.m., police responded to a report of a man in camouflage carrying a weapon down Charter Street. Police later located a man wearing "a devil style Halloween mask, with two small metal pitchforks in each hand." The mask and weapons were confiscated by police.
If you have a question about this police log, please send it to Salem Patch.