The following is an excerpt from the Salem Police Department's log:
Thursday, Jan. 3:
- At 3:58 p.m., police responded to Beach Avenue for a report of a domestic dispute between brothers. Responding officers determined that the dispute which "escalated into a screaming match" was over an XBox game.
- At 5:18 p.m., police located a man known to have warrants on Becket Street. Michael F. Ball, 24, of 10 Becket St., Salem, was arrested for having three outstanding warrants.
- At 6:08 p.m., police and fire units responded to a reported vehicle fire on Heritage Drive. The vehicle, it turned out, was just overheating and not on fire.
Drug Bust on Essex Street
- At 6:41 p.m., after an investigation into the illegal sales of cocaine, a search warrant was executed at 21 Essex St. apartment 1L. Justin M. Smith, 24, of 21 Essex St., Salem, was arrested on charges of major trafficking cocaine over 36 grams; possessing a class A substance (heroin) with intent to distribute; three counts of possessing a class B substance (ecstasy, methadone, Suboxone) with intent to distribute; possessing a class C substance (Clonazepam) with intent to distribute and possessing a class D substance (marijuana) with intent to distribute.
- At 7:25 p.m., police stopped a motor vehicle at the intersection of Veterans Memorial Bridge and Bridge Street. Sandra N. Cook, 44, of 18 Hull St., Beverly, was arrested on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol.
- At 7:40 p.m., a resident had their service provider ping their iPhone and it was traced to 38 Station Road. It was later located inside the house where a man admitted to stealing if from the Fat Cactus Restaurant. Stanley P. Gamette, 22, of 16 Spring Court, Swampscott, was arrested on a charge of receiving stolen property valued above $250.
- At 7:44 p.m., police responded to a report of a man with a firearm on Mason Street.
- At 10:21 p.m., police responded to a motor vehicle accident at the intersection of Canal Street and Loring Avenue. Douglas P. Gerardi, 55, of 56 Hooper St., Chelsea, was arrested on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, second offense.
Friday, Jan. 4:
- At 1:46 a.m., police responded to a report of suspicious activity on Highland Avenue.
- At 7:14 a.m., police responded to a report of a child locked in a running motor vehicle on Boston Street.
- At 8:40 a.m., a Naumkeag Street resident called police to report that he had three tires stolen overnight. The tires were reportedly valued at $225.
- At 8:58 a.m., police responded to a report of shoplifting at the Red Lion Smoke Shop on Washington Street. A man reportedly stole $48 worth of baseball cards. Ernie G. Belleisle, 40, of 116 Lafayette St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of shoplifting merchandise by concealment.
- At 2:45 p.m., police responded to the Walmart on Highland Avenue for a report of past shoplifting.
- At 4:07 p.m., police responded to a report of vandalism on Lafayette Street.
If you have a quesion about this police log, please send it to Salem Patch.