The following is an excerpt from the Salem Police Department's log:
Wednesday, Feb. 20:
- At 4:33 p.m., a ring found in a snowbank on Harbor Street was turned over to police at the station.
- At 5:01 p.m., police responded to a report of a suspicious person living in the woods behind the golf course on Willson Street. A K9 unit was used to locate the area, which reportedly had a blue tent with clothes, dog food, a large knife and duffel bags. No one was found in the area and a 8" knife was confiscated by police.
- At 5:23 p.m., police found a man sleeping inside of an ATM on Washington Street. He was placed into protective custody.
- At 5:42 p.m., police responded to a past break-in on Daniels Street.
- At 5:52 p.m., police and fire units assisted a woman at the intersection of Lafayette Street and Ocean Avenue who accidentally locked her keys inside her car with a 2-year-old child inside.
- At 6:14 p.m., a Gedney Court man called police to report that someone stole his long-board off of his back porch.
- At 8:59 p.m., a man called police to report that someone stole his iPhone from his locker at the YMCA in Marblehead.
Thursday, Feb. 21:
- At 3:08 a.m., police responded to a domestic dispute on Bridge Street. Noel Perez, 48, of 22 Bridge St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of domestic assault and battery.
- At 10:13 a.m., police responded to a reported shoplifting attempt at The Red Lion Smoke Shop on Washington Street. A woman was issued a no trespass order.
- At 11:41 a.m., police responded to a motor vehicle accident at the intersection of North and School streets. Stephen J. Hyland, 61, of 20 James St., Beverly, was arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, fifth offense and leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident with property damage.
- At 1:07 p.m., police located a woman known to have an outstanding warrant in the emergency room at Salem Hospital.
- At 1:36 p.m., police responded to 450 Highland Avenue for a reported shoplifter. Lisa M. Frotundo, 34, of 12 Pope St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of shoplifting merchandise valued above $100.
- At 1:45 p.m., police responded to a report of aggressive panhandling in front of the Starbucks on Washington Street.
- At 2:19 p.m., police stopped a motor vehicle on Bridge Street. Jonathan W. Stretton, 32, of 381 Washington St., Melrose, was arrested on a charge of operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license and for having an outstanding warrant.
- At 3:01 p.m., police and fire units assisted the Salem Board of Health with condemning a property on Beacon Street. Four live birds living in the home were taken by police.
- At 5:47 p.m., police responded to a report of a dog struck by a motor vehicle at the intersection of Bridge and Boston streets.
Ahmed F. Mehalba, 40, of 357 Jefferson Ave., Salem, was arrested on a charge of domestic assault and battery.
Robert B. Soden, 45, of 98 Cook St., Lynn, was arrested for having an outstanding warrant.
If you have a question about this police log, please send it to Salem Patch.