Today is Wednesday, Jan. 23, and here are the five things you need to now:
1. It will be a frigid day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be mostly sunny, with a high near 19. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 4. (sunrise, 7:05 a.m.; high tide, 8:21 a.m.; low tide, 2:43 p.m.; sunset, 4:45 p.m.)
2. Verizon Wireless recently awarded HAWC (Healing Abuse Working for Change, formerly known as Help for Abused Women and their Children) out of Salem a $1,000 donation. Accepting the donation for HAWC was Vika Kokhan, Director of Operations at HAWC. Check out the photo attached to this post for a look at the check.
3. At their meeting at City Hall Thursday night, Salem City Council members are expected to consider a request for approximately $10,000 toward the restoration of the roof and some of the windows at Salem's Old Town Hall. Click Here for our full story.
4. Are you a fan of Salem sunsets? We captured a beautiful time lapse video of the sun setting over Salem Harbor Tuesday afternoon. Click Here for a look at our video and for the chance to submit a local sunrise or sunset photo of your own.
5. Today in History: On Jan. 23, 1941, Charles Lindbergh, while testifying before Congress, recommended that the United States negotiate a neutrality pact with Adolf Hitler.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.