Today is Thursday, Feb. 7, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be a pleasant winter day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be mostly sunny, with a high near 35. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. (sunrise, 6:50 a.m.; high tide, 8:02 a.m.; low tide, 2:27 p.m.; sunset, 5:05 p.m.)
2. The First Universalist Society of Salem will host a free Salem Scottish Country Dancers class for beginners tonight starting at 7:30 p.m. For more information, visit the organization's website or call MaryEllen Scannell at 978-745-2229.
3. The Planning Board will meet tonight at 120 Washington St. The meeting is scheduled to begin in a third-floor meeting room at 7 p.m., according to the posted agenda.
4. The Salem Experience Show will air this afternoon on Salem Access Television. The 30-minute show, which will feature early Salem life, the witchery period, commercial sailing customs and paranormal activity, is set to begin at 1:30 p.m.
5. Today in History: On Feb. 7, 1940, the second full-length animated Walt Disney film, Pinocchio, premiered.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.