Today is Tuesday, Feb. 5, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It will be a chilly day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be mostly sunny, with a high near 29.. Tonight should be mostly cloudy with a low around 19. (high tide, 6:37 a.m.; sunrise, 6:52 a.m.; low tide, 12:22 p.m.; sunset, 5:02 p.m.)
2. Do you find yourself struggling to maintain a healthy diet? There will be a Nutrition 'Lunch and Learn' this afternoon at the North Shore Career Center on Washington Street. Beginning at 12 p.m., there will be an informative and fun workshop on Nutrition with Registered Dietitian, Rachel Dziedzic, co-owner of The Fitness Recipe.
3. The No Place for Hate Committee will meet this evening at 120 Washington Street. The meeting is scheduled to begin at 5:30 p.m., according to the posted agenda.
4. Salem High School's girls' varsity basketball team will host Lynn English tonight at the high school. Tip-off is scheduled for 5:30 p.m., so if you're free, consider stopping by to cheer them on!
5. Today in History: On Feb. 5, 1900, The United States and the United Kingdom signed a treaty for the Panama Canal.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.