Today is Monday, Feb. 4, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be a sunny winter day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be mostly sunny, with a high near 35. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 16. (sunrise, 6:53 a.m.; low tide, 11:19 a.m.; sunset, 5:01 p.m.; high tide, 5:31 p.m.)
2. The race for John Kerry's recently-vacated Senate seat is heating up. Over the last few days, we learned that Scott Brown and Richard Tisei will not be throwing their hats into the ring. Congressman Edward Markey and US Rep. Stephen Lynch have both confirmed that they will be running.
3. The Salem School Committee will meet tonight at Collins Middle School. The meeting is scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m., and is expected to feature a report from Superintendent Dr. Stephen Russell, according to the posted agenda.
4. Did you or someone you know take the polar plunge at Winter Island Park in Salem Sunday afternoon? Click Here to share your photos and videos from the annual fundraiser.
5. Today in History: On Feb. 4, 2004, Facebook was founded by Mark Zuckerberg.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.