Today is Wednesday, Feb. 27, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. You'll want to be prepared for some wet weather today. The National Weather Service is predicting that local resident can expect rain before 9 a.m., then rain and snow between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m., and then rain after noon. The high should be around 40. Tonight should be rainy, with a low around 35. (sunrise, 6:22 a.m.; high tide, 12:06 p.m.; sunset, 5:30 p.m.; low tide, 6:56 p.m.)
2. Salem High School's boys' varsity basketball team advance to the next round of the state tournament Tuesday night by defeating Winchester in overtime 67-65. The boys will take on Brighton next on March 1 at 7 p.m. Congratulations!
3. The Salem Design Review Board will meet this evening at the City Hall Annex on Washington Street. The meeting, scheduled to begin at 6 p.m., is expected to feature a discussion regarding a proposed signage project, according to the posted agenda.
4. It may not seem strange to us - but the fact that Salem High School's athletic teams play under the name The Salem Witches has the school in the running to be named America's Most Unique High School Mascot. Click Here to head over to the USA Today High School Sports page to vote for Salem before the deadline on March 5.
5. Today in History: On Feb. 27, 1860, Abraham Lincoln made a speech at Cooper Union in New York that was largely responsible for his eventual election to the Presidency.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.