Today is Tuesday, Jan. 22, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. You'll still want to be prepared for some winter weather this morning. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect snow, mainly before 10 a.m. and a high near 26. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 8. (sunrise, 7:06 a.m.; high tide, 7:40 a.m.; low tide, 1:53 p.m., sunset, 4:44 p.m.)
2. The Salem School Committee will meet tonight in City Council Chambers at City Hall on Washington Street. The meeting, scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m., according to the posted agenda.
3. Looking for something fun to do tonight? Salem High School's girl's varsity basketball team will host Saugus tonight at the high school. The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m., so if you're free, consider stopping by to cheer them on!
4. The Salem Snow Emergency will end this morning at 6 a.m., according to an announcement sent in by the Office of Mayor Kim Driscoll. Although early forecast models called for local snow totals between 6 and 8 inches, the majority of the storm was pushed out to sea before anything could accumulate.
5. Today in History: On Jan. 22, 1968, Apollo 5 lifted off, carrying the first Lunar module into space.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.