Today is Thursday, Nov. 29, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be another brisk day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be cloudy, with a high near 43. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. (sunrise, 6:51 a.m.; high tide, 11:20 a.m.; sunset, 4:11 p.m.; low tide, 5:38 p.m.)
2. For most injured or impaired wild animals, being discovered by a passing canine can be very dangerous. But for a young Cooper's Hawk that was found in front of a Federal Street home Tuesday evening, being sniffed out by a local pooch may have ended up saving his life. Click Here for our full story.
3. The New Hampshire couple wanted in connection with a horrific child abuse case has been captured. The pair were reportedly seen around the North Shore over the last few days. Click Here for the details.
4. Demolition is underway at the site of the former Universal Steel Co. building on Bridge Street. Click Here to check out a video from yesterday's demo and consider stopping by today to see the rest of the building come down.
5. Today in History: On Nov. 29, 1877, Thomas Edison demonstrated his new invention, the phonograph, for the first time.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.