Welcome to 5 Things You Need to Know Today, your place for useful facts. We'll provide this early morning digest each weekday to keep Salemites and Salem Patch users in-the-know.
- A scarlet “A”: On this day in 1850, Nathaniel Hawthorne’s "A Scarlet Letter" was published. The famous story of adultery and betrayal in colonial America is widely read in schools. The Salem native’s book tells the story of Hester Prynne who conceives a child during an adulterous affair.
- Have you taken a trip over to the lately? Be sure to check out , the theatre's latest show, while you have the chance.
- In case you missed it, we announced the winner of the Hot Beverage in the City? contest yesterday. Congratulations to Becky Muller who was our winner. What is Becky's favorite drink and what others topped the list? Head on over to to learn more.
- Speaking of hot drinks, be sure to check out our story on , coming this Friday in our section.
- If you're looking to get involved in City government and plans for one of the City's treasure, be sure to get to the at 8 a.m. in the . With that timing, you'll still be able to make festivities!
To find out what else is happening today in Salem, check out our events calendar.