Today is Thursday, Jan. 3, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. You'll want to bundle up for a freezing day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be sunny, with a high near 22. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low are 20. (sunrise, 7:13 a.m.; low tide, 8:54 a.m.; high tide, 3:03 p.m.; sunset, 4:23 p.m.)
2. The Salem City Council will meet tonight at City Hall on Washington Street. The meeting, scheduled to begin at 7 p.m., will feature the election of one of six candidates who have applied to fill out the remaining year of recently resigned Councilor at Large Joan Lovely's term. Click Here for our full story.
3. A sad story to report this morning, a dog that got loose on the Veterans Memorial Bridge in Beverly and was eventually killed by an MBTA train in Salem tied up commuter traffic last night. Click Here for our full story.
4. Salem's own Green Clean Salem is celebrating their 7-year anniversary of "Eco-Lovin' Home Scrubbin'" today. Congrats Green Clean Salem! Here's to the next seven years.
5. Today in History: On Jan. 3, 1496, Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tested a flying machine.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.