Today is Thursday, Dec. 6, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It will be noticeably colder in Salem today. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be sunny, with a high near 38. Tonight should b partly cloudy, with a low around 31. (sunrise, 6:59 a.m.; low tide, 10:15 a.m.; sunset, 4:10 p.m.; high tide, 4:25 p.m.)
2. If you haven't heard, area residents are digging deep to save Salem Cinema. The local movie house has a little more than a month to raise the $60,000 needed to convert to a digital projection system. Click Here for all the details.
3. The Salem City Council will convene in their chambers at City Hall tonight. The meeting, scheduled to begin at 7 p.m., is expected to feature a discussion regarding the future makeup of the council. Click Here for a look at the posted agenda.
4. The Salem Farmers' Market will be held at Derby Square on Front Street this afternoon. The market will be open from 3 to 6 p.m., so, if you're free, consider stopping by for some fresh fruits and vegetables. Click Here to view their webpage.
5. Today in History: On Dec. 6, 1884, The Washington Monument in Washington D.C., was completed.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.