Small Business Saturday is on Nov. 24 this year, two days after Thanksgiving. It is a day for everyone to support the small businesses that their community thrives on.
American Express founded the day in 2010 to help small businesses get exposure during the holiday season, when they might be otherwise overlooked. With retailers buzzing around the holidays, it is important to support local small businesses that rely on their neighbors in order to continue prospering and building the local economy in Salem.
Last year, 100 million people nationwide participated in Small Business Saturday by shopping at locally owned stores to help boost the economy and their communities.
Here are just a few of Salem businesses participating in Small Business Saturday:
- Roost, 40 Front St.
- Seed Stitch Fine Yarn, 21 Front St.
- Fiddlehead, 21 Front St.
- Treasures Over Time, 139 Washington St.
- The Urbane Cyclist, 144 Washington St.
- The Lobster Shanty, 25 Front St.
- Gulu-Gulu Cafe, 247 Essex St.
- Delande Lighting, 22 New Derby St.
- Passage to India, 157 Washington St.
- Tavern-in-the-Square, 189 Washington St.
- Adriatic Restaurant, 155 Washington St.
- The Barking Cat, 256 Essex St.
- Game Zone, 270 Essex St.
- Salem Dance Center, 302 Essex St.
- Salon Around the Corner, 10 Jefferson Ave.
- JB Automotive Center, 51 Canal St.
- Gorilla Printing, 47 Canal St.
- Major Magleashe's Pub, 268 Washington St.
Click here for a full list of participating Salem businesses and directions to their shops.
You can also “like” Small Business Saturday on Facebook by visiting www.facebook.com/shopsmall.
Park on Patch — If you're driving in on Saturday, Patch is footing the bill for dozens of parking meters downtown from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Patch folks like editor Owen Boss will be around to say hello!
Everyone has locally owned businesses in their community, and shopping on Small Business Saturday is the perfect way to give back to the businesses you know and love in your community.
TELL US: What small businesses do you patronize in your town and what makes them great? Share in the comments below.