Today is Tuesday, Oct. 8, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It will feel a bit cooler out there today, but it should be a pleasant fall day in Salem. TheNational Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be sunny, with a high near 63. Tonight should be clear, with a low around 40. (sunrise, 6:48 a.m.; low tide, 7:53 a.m.;high tide, 2:40 p.m.; sunset, 6:10 p.m.)
2. The Salem Board of Health will meet tonight at the City Hall Annex on Washington Street. The meeting, scheduled to begin at 7 p.m., is expected to feature a request from Iqbal Shahzad and Malik Hayat for a variance to a regulation pertaining to the workplace smoking ban in the hopes of opening a hookah bar in Salem, according to the posted agenda. Salem Patch will keep you posted.
3. There will be a Councillor-At-Large Candidates Forum tonight at the Moose Hall on Grove Street in Salem. The forum is scheduled to run from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. and is sponsored by the Mack Park Neighborhood Association, Greater Endicott Neighborhood Association, Point Neighborhood Association, South Salem Neighborhood Association, Salem Common Neighborhood Association and the Gallows Hill Neighborhood Association. Click Here for all the details.
4. Wondering where all the work-at-homers live on the North Shore? We posted this interactive map Monday afternoon offering a visual look at 2011 census data that pinpoints where all of those home offices are in Salem.
5. Today in History: On Oct. 8, 1956, New York Yankees pitcher Don Larsen became the only pitcher to throw a perfect game during a World Series.