Today is Friday, Aug. 2, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. The National Weather Service is predicting a chance of showers and thunderstorms before 10 a.m, then a slight chance of showers between 10 a.m. and noon. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 83. (sunrise, 5:36 a.m.; high tide, 8:49 a.m.; low tide, 2:37 p.m.; sunset, 8:01 p.m.)
2. Goodnight, Captain White, Salem's hysterical history-mystery will show tonight at The Griffen Theatre on Lynde Street. The show is scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are $23 general admission, $20 for seniors. Click Here for all the details.
3. There will be a quilt show tonight at the Wesley United Methodist Church on North Street. The event is scheduled to run from 6 to 8 p.m. and will feature locally-crafted quilts and a silent auction. Proceeds will benefit the Church Building Fund.
4. Families are invited to attend a free event at The House of the Seven Gables this afternoon as part of Heritage Days. The House of the Seven Gables will be offering traditional tales from the Dominican Republic and other parts of the Caribbean this afternoon from 1 to 3 p.m. The stories will be about magical beings known as asciguapas, or mermaid-like creatures, and the legendary "Indians of the Waters" of traditional Dominican lore.
5. Today in History: On Aug. 2, 1776, the signing of the United States Declaration of Independence took place.