Today is Thursday, Sept. 5, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. You'll want to be prepared for a few passing showers today. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect showers before noon, otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 79. Tonight should be clear, with a low around 51. (sunrise, 6:12 a.m.; high tide, 11:53 a.m.; low tide, 5:53 p.m.; sunset, 7:10 p.m.)
2. The Salem Farmers' Market will be held this afternoon at Derby Square on Front Street. The market will run from 3 to 7 p.m. Click Here to check out scenes from a market earlier this year.
3. Have you been looking for a fun way to try something new in the kitchen? Click Here to check out this week's installment of Eat This! a Salem Patch blog focused on cooking with buckwheat.
4. The Salem Cultural Council will meet this evening at The Salem Theatre Company on Lafayette Street. The meeting is scheduled to begin at 5:30 p.m., according to the posted agenda.
5. Today in History: On Sept. 5, 1862, the first Labor Day Parade was held in New York City.