Today is Thursday, Oct. 24, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be another nice fall day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be mostly cloudy, with a high near 55. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 36. (sunrise, 7:07 a.m.; low tide, 9:16 a.m.; high tide, 3:30 p.m.; sunset, 5:47 p.m.)
2. The city of Salem recently launched a new information hotline that can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to hear important updates and alerts. The Salem Announcements and Information Line (SAIL) is 978-745-INFO (4636).
3. The Salem City Council will meet tonight at City Hall on Washington Street. The meeting is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. Click Here to view the posted agenda.
4. Looking to stock up on something fresh? The Salem Farmers' Market will be held today from 3 to 7 p.m. at Derby Square. Click Here to check out a photo gallery featuring shots from a market earlier this year.
5. Today in History: On Oct. 24, 1954, Dwight D. Eisenhower pledged United States support to South Vietnam.