Today is Thursday, Oct. 17, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be another beautiful day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be partly sunny, with a high near 70. Tonight should be increasingly cloudy, with a low around 57. (sunrise, 6:58 a.m.; high tide, 10:25 a.m.; low tide, 4:34 p.m.; sunset, 5:57 p.m.)
2. Plan 9 From Outer Space will be showing at CinemaSalem tonight. The film, directed by Ed Wood, is arguably the worst movie ever made. It will be showing from 8 to 10 p.m. Click Here for full details.
3. The Salem Planning Board will meet tonight at the City Hall Annex on Washington Street. The meeting, scheduled to begin at 7 p.m., is expected to feature a discussion about the Community Preservation Act Plan, according to the posted agenda.
4. Will you be heading into downtown Salem to take part in this year's Haunted Happenings events? Click Here to see a handy schedule of festivities.
5. Today in History: On Oct. 17, 1979, Mother Teresa was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.