Today is Friday, Oct. 11, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be another pleasant day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be cloudy, with a high near 64. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. (sunrise, 6:52 a.m.; low tide, 10:31 a.m.; high tide, 4:47 p.m.; sunset, 6:07 p.m.)
2. At their meeting at City Hall Thursday night, Salem city councilors unanimously approved the appropriation of $11,504.87 to paint the Fort Pickering Lighthouse. Click Here to read a column by Salem Patch history columnist Jerome Curley focused on the history behind Salem's lighthouses.
3. The Salem Open Market will kick off in downtown Salem today. The market is scheduled to run from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Derby Square and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Essex Street. Click Here for all the details.
4. Salem High School's varsity football team will take on Revere High School tonight. The game is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m., so consider heading out to cheer them on! Click Here for game details.
5. Today in History: On Oct. 11, 1910, President Theodore Roosevelt became the first president to fly in an airplane.