Today is Friday, Jan. 10, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It will be a nice winter day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect snow-showers this afternoon. Otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 38. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. (sunrise, 7:12 a.m.; low tide, 1:24 p.m.; sunset, 4:29 p.m.; high tide, 7:28 p.m.)
2. Due to a larger-than-usual amount of trash and recycling, many streets on the Thursday trash route in Salem were unable to be completed. If your trash wasn't picked up you can just leave it out and it will be picked up this morning.
3. Salem High School's girls' varsity basketball team will host Gloucester tonight at the high school. The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m., so consider stopping by to cheer them on!
4. Don't forget! You can register your kids for Salem Little League's 2014 season on Saturday at the Jackson Hewitt Office on Canal Street. Click Here for more information.
5. Today in History: On Jan. 10, 1920 The Treaty of Versailles takes effect, officially ending World War I.