Today is Friday, Aug. 16, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be another beautiful day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be sunny, with a high near 77. Tonight should be clear, with a low around 58. (sunrise, 5:51 a.m.; high tide, 7:02 a.m.; low tide, 1:06 p.m.; high tide, 7:24 p.m.; sunset, 7:43 p.m.).
2. Salem's Play Areas for Canine Exercise (SPACE) and the Salem Lions club will host a social hour on the waterfront for dogs and their human companions beginning at 6 p.m. tonight at the World War II Social Club on East Collins Street. Participants will enjoy food, entertainment, door prizes, a 50/50 raffle and more. All proceeds will benefit Leslie's Retreat Dog Park.
3. Looking for something fun to do this weekend? Consider stopping by Boston Harbor Cruise's new patio bar at the Salem Ferry Landing. Click Here to take a virtual look around Salem's newest waterfront hangout, which opened for business Thursday afternoon.
4. Beware of phone scammers! The Salem Police Department issued a warning Thursday regarding recent attempts by phone scammers to defraud Salem residents by claiming to be representatives of the FBI. Click Here for our full story.
5. Today in History: On Aug. 16, 1858, President James Buchanan inaugurated the new transatlantic telegraph cable by exchanging greetings with Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom.