Alleged Drunk Driver Strikes Five Vehicles in Salem
The following information was submitted by the Salem Police Department. Where arrests or charges are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction.
The following is an excerpt from the Salem Police Department's log:
Saturday, Jan. 19:
- At 12:12 a.m., police responded to a loud house party on Prince Street.
- At 1:35 a.m., police responded to a domestic dispute on Boston Street.
- At 8:03 a.m., police responded to a report of a man making lewd comments on Bridge Street.
- At 8:14 a.m., a woman called police to report that she and her dog were chased down English Street by a rabid skunk.
- At 9:33 a.m., police responded to a domestic dispute on Jefferson Avenue.
- At 10:21 a.m., police responded to a road rage incident at the intersection of Essex and Washington streets.
- At 10:42 a.m., a hypodermic needle was discovered on Margin Street.
- At 12:32 p.m., a man was stopped on Washington Square. David J. Brown, 34, of the streets of Salem, was arrested on charges of disturbing the peace, annoying and accosting people and lewd behavior.
- At 12:43 p.m., a woman called police to report that she was bitten by a dog while walking in a path near the intersection of Bridge and Conant streets.
- At 4:17 p.m., police responded to Maria's Sweet Somethings for a report of shoplifting.
- At 6:04 p.m., police responded to a reported brush fire on Gallows Hill Park. Firefighters extinguished the small fire.
- At 7:27 p.m., police responded to a reported break-in at a home on Balcolm Street.
- At 7:45 p.m., police responded to a 911 hang-up from a home on Park Street. Jose A. Guzman, 40, of 9 Park St., Salem, was arrested on charges of assault and battery, intimidating a witness and malicious destruction of property valued above $250.
- At 9:21 p.m., a motor vehicle was stopped on Highland Avenue. David M. Galber, 24, of 42 Seventh St., Medford, was arrested on a charge of operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license.
- At 10:55 p.m., police responded to a fight on Lafayette Street.
Sunday, Jan. 20:
- At 1:28 a.m., police responded to a report of a man running on top of parked cars on Lafayette Street.
- At 2:32 a.m., police responded to a reported roll-over accident on Marlborough Road. The motor vehicle was reportedly totaled. Nina H. Bennett, 36, of 39 Squam Hill Road, Rockport, was arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, negligent operation of a motor vehicle and operating a motor vehicle with an open container of alcohol.
- At 4:00 a.m., police responded to a reported assault and battery on Highland Avenue.
- At 4:07 a.m., police responded to a motor vehicle accident on Canal Street. After backtracking the woman's path, they discovered she hit five parked cars between Swampscott and Salem before being stopped. Jacqueline Y. Portillo, 19, of 36 Highland Ave., Everett, was arrested on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, three counts of leaving the scene of an accident with property damage and committing a marked lanes violation.
- At 1:02 p.m., police responded to a reported break-in on Leavitt Street.
- At 5:16 p.m., police responded to a reported medical overdose on Congress Street.
If you have a question about this police log, please send it to Salem Patch.