Car Windows Smashed With Baseball Bat on Winthrop Street
The following information was submitted by the Salem Police Department. Where arrests or charges are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction.
The following is an excerpt from the Salem Police Department's log:
Wednesday, Jan. 2:
- At 4:20 p.m., a woman reportedly discovered a pocketbook at Shaw's.
- At 5:20 p.m., a man entered the police station to report that he purchased some coins on E-Bay and received an empty package.
- At 5:50 p.m., a resident entered the police station to report that their vehicle had been broken into while parked on Jefferson Avenue.
- At 6:35 p.m., police conducted a well-being check on Bay View Circle.
- At 7:17 p.m., police responded to a report of malicious destruction of property valued above $250 on Winthrop Street. A resident told police they looked outside and saw a man smashing their motor vehicle's windows out with a baseball bat and tearing their storm door off of its hinges. Darlin R. Hernandez, 31, of 10 First St., Salem, was arrested on two counts of malicious destruction of property over $250. Melvin A. Phillip, 31, of 21 Parsons St., Peabody, was arrested for violating an abuse prevention order.
- At 7:37 p.m., a resident entered the police station to report a past assault.
- At 7:46 p.m., police responded to a report of a dog on the MBTA tracks near March Street. Click Here for our full story about this entry.
- At 10:04 p.m., police responded to a report of a person being followed on First Street.
- At 10:43 p.m., police located a man known to have a warrant on Mason Street. Brandon Dixon, was arrested for having an outstanding warrant.
- At 11:01 p.m., police responded to a domestic dispute on Dow Street. Lee E. Gonzalez, 27, of 60 Dow St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of domestic assault and battery. Ulysses D. Gonzalez, 32, of 42 Leavitt St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.
Thursday, Jan. 3:
- At 1:43 a.m., police responded to a report of loud music on Hazel Street.
- At 11:01 a.m., a woman entered the police station to report that she left her wallet at the 7-Eleven on Norman Street. The wallet was eventually returned to its owner.
- At 11:02 a.m., a woman called police to report that her wallet was stolen out of her pocketbook.
- At 11:54 a.m., an off-duty police officer at a Walgreens on New Derby Street reportedly saw a man steal Tylenol. The man was served a No Trespass order.
- At 1:15 p.m., police conducted a well-being check on Center Street.
- At 3:58 p.m., police responded to a domestic dispute on Beach Avenue.
Michael F. Ball, 24, of 10 Becket St., Salem, was arrested for having three outstanding warrants.
Justin M. Smith, 24, of 21 Essex St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of possessing a class B substance with intent to distribute.
If you have a question about this police log, please send it to Salem Patch.