$5,000 Worth of Copper Wiring Stolen on Scotia Street
The following information was submitted by the Salem Police Department. Where arrests or charges are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction.
The following is an excerpt from the Salem Police Department's log:
Tuesday, Jan. 1:
- At 4:26 p.m., police responded to a report of suspicious activity on Mason Street.
- At 4:34 p.m., police located a man know to have an outstanding warrant on Leavitt Street. Scott Bixby Jr., 24, of 38 Harbor St., Salem, was arrested for having two outstanding warrants.
- At 6:44 p.m., police responded to a report of items stolen from a storage unit on Lynde Street.
- At 9:55 p.m., police responded to a report of domestic assault and battery on Salem Street. Dane Mullin, 26, of 27 Salem St., was arrested on charges of domestic assault and battery and disturbing the peace.
- At 10:03 p.m., police received word that a shoplifter had just fled the Walmart on Highland Avenue.
Wednesday, Jan. 2:
- At 4:22 a.m., police stopped a motor vehicle on Willson Street. James Candilieri, 20, of 52 Roslyn St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license.
- At 8:34 a.m., an Essex Street man called police to report that his next-door neighbor left a typed note on his car "asking (him) not to warm up his truck and leave it idling for a long period of time."
- At 9:32 a.m., police received word that a man had just stolen some metal from the side of a building on Jefferson Avenue and taken it to the Recycle Center. The man was advised the metal was DPW property and he agreed to return it to where he found it.
- At 9:39 a.m., a man was arrested at Salem District Court. Shawn I. Smart, 30, of 91 Tremont St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (flower pot).
- At 10:00 a.m., police responded to a reported domestic assault and battery on Mason Street.
- At 10:22 a.m., a general contractor called police to report that sometime between Dec. 28 and Dec. 29, someone entered the home at 15 Scotia St. and stole more than $5,000 worth of copper electrical wiring and damaged the interior. The damage was estimated to be valued between $5,000 and $6,000.
- At 11:01 a.m., a woman entered the police station to report several packages stolen. The woman told police that US Post Office packages were stolen from her front porch.
- At 1:35 p.m., a Washington Street resident called police to report that suspicious items had been left at their door.
- At 2:42 p.m., police received word that a Canadian goose had its feet stuck below the ice off of Orne Street and was unable to get out. Animal Control Officer Famico, along with members of the Salem Fire Department checked the bird's status and "with the good bowling arm of Deputy Glenn Beaudet, a rock was tossed toward the Canadian goose resulting in its moving over to another area of the ice." The goose reportedly had an injury to its leg and will be monitored by a member of the Boston Animal Rescue League.
Edwin Colon Jr., 34, of 117 Loring Ave., Salem, was arrested on a charge of violating an abuse prevention order.
Shawn I. Smart, 30, of 91 Tremont St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (flower pot).
If you have a question about this police log, please send it to Salem Patch.