Cocaine, Illegal Knife Found During Salem Traffic Stop
The following information was submitted by the Salem Police Department. Where arrests or charges are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction.
The following is an excerpt from the Salem Police Department's log:
Friday, Nov. 23:
- At 4:02 p.m., police responded to a property dispute at the intersection of Lafayette and Harbor streets.
- At 4:30 p.m., a man entered the police station to report that he had just been robbed on Margin Street. The man said he was counting money when a woman walking by snatched it out of his hands. Melissa Lefebvre will be summonsed to court on a charge of larceny.
- At 4:50 p.m., a resident on Cabot Street called police to report that she returned home to find a black lab sitting in her driveway. The dog was reportedly transported to the address listed on his tag and returned to its owner.
- At 5:43 p.m., police responded to a reported domestic dispute on Derby Street. Christopher Ouelette, 57, of 225 Derby St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of domestic assault and battery.
- At 6:53 p.m., police responded to a report of suspicious activity at the intersection of Congress and Peabody streets. Catherine M. Olson, 21, of 116 Lafayette St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of possessing a class A substance (heroin).
- At 10:10 p.m., Freddie Alvarez Jr., 24, of 9 High St., Salem, was arrested for having an outstanding warrant and on charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. A small amount of marijuana was reportedly recovered from him during booking.
- At 10:31 p.m., police responded to a report of a fight in the street on Beacon Street.
Saturday, Nov. 24:
- At 2:34 a.m., police responded to Dunkin Donuts on Washington Street to speak to a man who said he was being followed. The man said another customer at Dunkin' Donuts was "sizing him up to possibly rob him."
- At 3:57 a.m., police stopped a motor vehicle at the intersection of Washington and Ropes streets. William T. Rinaldi, 19, of 5 Willowbrae Drive, Peabody, was arrested on charges if possessing a class B substance (cocaine), possessing a class D substance (marijuana) with intent to distribute and possessing an illegal knife. Mark A. Lendall, 21, of 5 Elginwood Road, Peabody, was arrested on a charge of possessing a class D substance (marijuana) with intent to distribute.
- At 8:29 a.m., police stopped a motor vehicle on Lafayette Street. Valerie C. Mayi, 33, of 24 Boston St., Salem, was arrested on charges of unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license.
- At 8:50 a.m., a resident entered the police station to turn over a cell phone that they reportedly found on Lafayette Street that had photos of "suspicious activity" on it. Click Here for our full story.
- At 10:23 a.m., a resident called police to report that his car was burglarized while parked overnight on Fairfield Street. A pair of sunglasses valued at $100 were reportedly stolen from the vehicle.
- At 11:58 a.m., the owner of Imperial Paint on North Street called police to report that his front window had been smashed out.
- At 3:40 p.m., police stopped a motor vehicle on Jackson Street that nearly struck a police cruiser. Jose A. Taveras, 38, of 422 Black Ave., Brooklyn, N.Y., was arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle with a revoked license and for having an outstanding warrant.
- At 5:48 p.m., police stopped a motor vehicle on Porter Street. Pablo Roman Jr., 35, of 27 Salem St., Salem, was arrested on charges of unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and having an open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle.
- At 8:52 p.m., police responded to a report of malicious destruction to a door on Lafayette Street. Raymond R. Thompson, 27, of 95 Lawrence St., Salem, was arrested on charges of malicious destruction of property valued above $250, larceny over $250 and possessing a class E substance.
- At 10:16 p.m., a resident called police to report that a woman wrapped in a blanket was walking in and out of traffic. A woman was later placed into protective custody.
Sunday, Nov. 25:
- At 11:01 a.m., police reportedly noticed a woman exiting the Walgreens on New Derby Street with a bulge under her jacket. Theresa McLaughlin will be summonsed to court on a charge of shoplifting.
- At 12:15 p.m., police responded to a hit-and-run-accident on Highland Avenue.
If you have a question about this police log, please send it to Salem Patch.