Police Called to Spilled Soup Dispute
The following information was submitted by the Salem Police Department. Where arrests or charges are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction.
The following is an excerpt from the Salem Police Department's log:
Monday, March 11:
- At 5:18 p.m., police responded to a dispute over stolen mail on Butler Street.
- At 6:57 p.m., police responded to a report of suspicious activity at the parking garage on East India Square. Two men stopped by police said they were just looking around.
- At 7:25 p.m., police responded to a dispute between neighbors on Essex Street.
- At 8:14 p.m., police responded to a report of a pedestrian struck by a motor vehicle at the intersection of Lafayette Street and Saltonstall Parkway.
- At 8:54 p.m., police located a man on Memorial Drive known to have an outstanding warrant. Bradford B. Smith, 44, of 45 Memorial Drive, Salem, was arrested for reportedly having an outstanding warrant.
- At 10:12 p.m., police responded to a report of a woman throwing furniture into a hallway on First Street. Denise A. Baillie, 59, of 12 First St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of disturbing the peace.
- At 10:18 p.m., police responded to a report of a loud bang and a flash on Boston Street. Although the caller initially said they heard gunshots, responding officers determined that there were no signs of a gun being fired. A neighbor told officers she heard what sounded like fireworks.
- At 10:35 p.m., a local juvenile was arrested for having an outstanding warrant.
- At 10:51 p.m., police responded to a report of loud banging noises on Herbert Street. Responding officers reportedly found a man and woman arguing over "soup that had been spilled and who was going to clean it up." A man agreed to take his things and leave for the night.
Tuesday, March 12:
- At 12:16 a.m., police responded to a report of a woman banging on windows and doors on Farrell Court. Responding officers determined that a woman reportedly locked herself out of her home.
- At 2:19 a.m., police stopped a motor vehicle on Highland Avenue. Melida A. Alvarez, 24, of 7 Bristow St., Saugus, was arrested for reportedly having an outstanding warrant and issued a citation for possessing marijuana.
- At 6:25 a.m., police responded to a report of a suspicious motor vehicle on Flying Cloud Lane.
- At 7:12 a.m., a city resident called police to report that someone egged their house overnight.
- At 10:44 a.m., a Washington Square North resident called police to report that someone stole the rear license plate off of their vehicle overnight.
- At 12:26 p.m., police responded to a report of an out-of-control woman in the Department of Transitional Assistance office on Congress Street. The woman was issued a no-trespass order.
- At 2:39 p.m., police responded to a domestic dispute on Pope Street.
- At 3:47 p.m., police responded to a report of a shoplifter at the CVS on Essex Street.
- At 4:21 p.m., police responded to a report of a damaged motor vehicle on Hanson Street.
If you have a question about this police log, please send it to Salem Patch.