Man Stabbed During Congress Street Dispute
The following information was submitted by the Salem Police Department. Where arrests or charges are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction.
The following is an excerpt from the Salem Police Department's log:
Monday, Jan. 21:
- At 4:10 p.m., police responded to a report of a bat loose in a child's bedroom on Mall Street. The child's mother told police the child didn't appear to be scratched or bitten but wanted to take him to the hospital. The bat was isolated in the room until after the examination.
- At 5:58 p.m., police responded to a domestic dispute on Congress Street. Police reportedly found a man bleeding in the front doorway with a stab wound to his left forearm and transported him to the hospital. After an investigation, Douglas W. Trowt, 68, of 86 Congress St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of domestic assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (knife). Michael George will be charged with assault and battery on an elderly person.
- At 6:14 p.m., police responded to the Hess gas station on Derby Street for a report of a shoplifting. Police are investigating the incident using video surveillance footage.
- At 6:49 p.m., police responded to a motor vehicle accident at the intersection of Highland and Cherry Hill avenues involving a Hyundai Accent and a Nissan Altima.
- At 9:14 p.m., police responded to a domestic dispute on Bridge Street.
Tuesday, Jan. 22:
- At 7:48 a.m., police responded to a motor vehicle accident at the intersection of Loring and Jefferson avenues involving a Toyota Highlander and a BMW Coupe.
- At 8:42 a.m., police received word that there was an open safe on the sidewalk on Crombie Street.
- At 11:24 a.m., police responded to a motor vehicle accident at the intersection of Bridge and North streets.
- At 11:24 a.m., police responded to the Lotus Gift Store at East India Square for a report of shoplifting. Sheena M. Tassone, 28, of 56 Margin St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of shoplifting by asportation.
- At 12:46 p.m., a Norton Terrace woman called police to report that there were some unauthorized transactions made using her checking account.
- At 1:16 p.m., police responded to a customer dispute on North Street.
- At 2:40 p.m., police located a man on Salem Street known to have an outstanding warrant. George M. Rivera, 21, of 31 Salem St., Salem, was arrested for having an outstanding warrant.
- At 2:40 p.m., police responded to a domestic dispute on Salem Street. Matthew J. Watson, 33, of 31 Salem St., Salem, was arrested on charges of assault with a dangerous weapon (large knife), assault and malicious destruction of property.
If you have a question about this police log, please send it to Salem Patch.