Man Charged With Pulling Knife on Lafayette Street
The following information was submitted by the Salem Police Department. Where arrests or charges are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction.
The following is an excerpt from the Salem Police Department's log:
Thursday, Dec. 6:
- At 5:05 p.m., police responded to a report of people yelling at passing cars near the intersection of New Derby and Lafayette streets. Paul W. Labonte, 53, of 56 Margin St., Salem, was arrested for having an outstanding warrant.
- At 5:19 p.m., police responded to 11 Church St. for a report of a stolen lamp. A property manager there told police that he reviewed surveillance video from the lobby of the building and saw a tenant stealing a lamp valued at $10. The lamp was later recovered from the woman.
- At 5:45 p.m., police stopped a motor vehicle on Mill Street. Gary E. Hynes, 53, of 79 Prospect St., Peabody, was arrested on a charge of unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.
- At 6:59 p.m., police responded to Balcomb Street for a report of malicious damage to an oil burner.
- At 8:13 p.m., police responded to a reported fight near Starbucks Coffee on Washington Street.
- At 8:25 p.m., police made a warrant arrest on Boston Street. Jose Rodriguez Jr., 23, of 38 Boston St., Salem, was arrested for having an outstanding warrant.
- At 9:31 p.m., an employee at Life Alive Cafe called police to report that several tenants in the building had been complaining about the sound level.
- At 9:51 p.m., a woman called police to report that she accidentally drove off with her purse on the roof of her car.
- At 11:07 p.m., a man on Lafayette Street called police to report that he just had a knife pulled on him. Soon after, Matthew W. Silva, 36, of 65 Longbow Road, Danvers was arrested on charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (knife) and assault with a dangerous weapon (knife).
Friday, Dec. 7:
- At 1:01 a.m., police were flagged down by a taxi driver near the intersection of Essex and Washington streets who reportedly had a woman pass out in the back of his cab.
- At 8:38 a.m., police responded to a report of a group of people drinking on Wharf Street. Sheena M. Tassone, 27, of 56 Margin St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of drinking in public; Jonathan L. Benson, 40, of 56 Margin St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of drinking in public; Steven P. Levesque, 53, of the streets of Salem was arrested on a charge of drinking in public.
- At 1:40 p.m., a Ropes Street man called police to report that his car was spray-painted while parked in his driveway overnight.
- At 2:05 p.m., police responded to a minor motor vehicle accident at the intersection of North and Dearborn streets involving a Ford Escape and a Toyota Camry.
- At 3:28 p.m., police responded to a report of a trash barrel in the road at the intersection of Highland Avenue and Willson Street.
If you have a question about this police log, please send it to Salem Patch.