Five Things to Know: Friendship Restoration
Here are the five things you need to know before you start your day in Salem.
Today is Wednesday, March 6, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. You'll want to be prepared for some wet weather today. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect a slight chance of snow showers before 9 a.m., then a chance of rain showers. Otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 42. Tonight should be rainy, with a low around 32. (sunrise, 6:10 a.m.; low tide, 12:32 p.m.; sunset, 5:39 p.m.; high tide, 6:41 p.m.)
2. Despite racking up 34,875 votes, The Salem Witches came in second place to the Ashland Clockers in the first round USA Today's America's Most Unique High School Mascot Contest. The Clockers ended up getting 38,984 votes.
3. We took a walk over to The Friendship of Salem Tuesday afternoon to snap a couple photos of recent progress on the sides of the ship. Click through the photos attached to this post for a look at how the restoration project is shaping up.
4. The Salem Historical Commission will meet tonight at the City Hall Annex on Washington Street. The meeting is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. and is expected to feature a discussion regarding the repointing of the North Street Fire Station, according to the posted agenda.
5. Today in History: On March 6, 1836, the 187 Texas volunteers defending the Alamo, which included frontiersman Davy Crockett and famed colonial Jim Bowie, were killed and the fort was captured.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.