Five Things to Know: City Council Elects Legault
Here are the five things you need to know before you start your day in Salem.
Today is Wednesday, Jan. 9, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be a beautiful day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be mostly sunny, with a high near 48. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 32. (sunrise, 7:12 a.m.; high tide, 8:17 a.m.; low tide, 2:43 p.m.; sunset, 4:29 p.m.)
2. The 10-members of the City Council, who failed last Thursday to pick a successor to former Councilor at Large Joan Lovely, took only two ballots Tuesday night to elect William Legault as the 11th councilor. Click Here for our full story.
3. Here's a fun update. The young Cooper's Hawk that was rescued by police in November after being found in front of a Federal Street home was recently released back into the wild. Click Here for our full story.
4. Salem High School's boys' varsity hockey team will take on the Marblehead Magicians this afternoon. The game is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m., so if you're free consider stopping by to cheer them on.
5. Today in History: On Jan. 9, 1788 Connecticut became the fifth state to be admitted to the United States.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.