Five Things to Know: Nominate a Salem Hero
Here are the five things you need to know before you start your day in Salem.
Today is Friday, Jan. 18, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It will be a cold and blustery day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be sunny, with a high near 27. Tonight should be clouds, with a low around 22. (sunrise, 7:08 a.m.; low tide, 10:02 a.m.; high tide, 4:18 p.m.; sunset, 4:39 p.m.)
2. The Northeast Massachusetts chapter of the Red Cross is looking for nominations for its annual Community Heroes Awards. The awards are presented in six categories during the annual Community Heroes Breakfast, which will be held March 21 from 7:30 to 9 a.m. at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Danvers. Today is the last day to get your nomination in. Click Here for more information.
3. Looking for a new house in Salem? Wondering what the inside of that house you drive by all the time looks like? Click Here for a closer look at 17 Salem homes, condos and apartments that will be holding open houses on Sunday.
4. Do you consider yourself something of a North Shore food expert? Check out this week's North Shore Food Buzz column, which includes local pieces about the impending closure of Cafe Polonia's and 62 Restaurant & Wine Bar's five-year anniversary.
5. Today in History: On Jan. 18, 1967, Albert DeSalvo, the Boston Strangler, is convicted of numerous crimes and is sentenced to life imprisonment.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.