Five Things to Know: And a Friendship Update
Here are the five things you need to know before you start your day in Salem.
Today is Friday, Jan. 11, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be a pleasant winter day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be increasingly cloudy, with a high near 40. Tonight should be cloudy, with a low around 34. (sunrise, 7:12 a.m.; high tide, 10:11 a.m.; sunset, 4:31 p.m.; low tide, 4:33 p.m.)
2. Wonder what's going on with The Friendship of Salem? You're not the only one. We made the ship's ongoing restoration project the focus of this week's You Ask...Patch Answers column. Click Here for our full story.
3. Salem High School's girls' varsity basketball team will host Danvers this afternoon at the high school. The game is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m., so if you're free, consider stopping by to cheer them on!
4. If you haven't driven down Lafayette Street in a while, you probably haven't seen the ongoing demolition project at St. Joseph's Church. Click Here to view video of the rear quarter of the building coming down Thursday afternoon and to let us know how you feel about the demolition project.
5. Today in History: On Jan. 11, 1935, Amelia Earhart became the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to California.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.