Five Things to Know: Girls' Basketball Tonight
Here are the five things you need to know before you start your day in Salem.
Today is Thursday, Feb. 28, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be another chilly day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be cloudy, with a high around 44. Tonight should be cloudy, with a low around 32. (sunrise, 6:20 a.m.; low tide, 6:35 a.m.; high tide, 12:48 p.m.; sunset, 5:32 p.m.)
2. Our history columnist Jerome Curley is back today with another installment of his column "Beyond Broomsticks" - this time he focuses on a forgotten Salem master artist: Fidelia Bridges. Click Here to read the full story.
3. Salem High School's girls' varsity basketball team will hit the road tonight to play their first playoff game against Arlington Catholic. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:45 p.m., so if you're free, consider traveling to cheer them on!
4. Salem City Council will meet tonight in Council Chambers at City Hall on Washington Street. The meeting, scheduled to begin at 7 p.m., is expected to feature a discussion regarding the designation of the North Street Fire Station as a historical location, according to the posted agenda.
5. Today in History: On Feb. 28, 1993, ATF agents raided the Branch Davidian church in Waco, Texas with a warrant to arrest the group's leader David Koresh. Four ATF agents and five Davidians die in the initial raid, starting a 51-day standoff.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.