Five Things to Know: Back to School
Here are the five things you need to know before you start your day in Salem.
Today is Tuesday, Feb. 12, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be a beautiful winter day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be mostly sunny, with a high near 46. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 29. (sunrise, 6:44 a.m.; high tide, 12:29 p.m.; sunset, 5:11 p.m.; low tide, 6:38 p.m.)
2. The Board of Health will meet tonight in the third-floor meeting room of the City Hall Annex on Washington Street. The meeting, scheduled to begin at 7 p.m., is expected to feature a report from Health Agent Larry Ramdin, according to the posted agenda.
3. It didn't take long for the news of Pope Benedict's decision to resign at the end of February to reach Salem residents this morning. Click Here for our full story about the local Catholic community's reaction to the decision.
4. A handful of area residents will skip lunch today and meet at Cafe Polonia tonight to take part in a no holds barred paczki-eating pig-out in support of the city's Boys and Girls Club. Click Here for our full story and for a video from last year's event.
5. Today in History: On Feb. 12, 1914, the first stone of the Lincoln Memorial was put into place in Washington, D.C.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.