Five Things to Know: Cold Weather is Back
Here are the five things you need to know before you start your day in Salem.
Today is Friday, Feb. 1, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It will feel much colder out there today. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be partly sunny, with a high near 35. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 14. (sunrise, 6:58 a.m.; low tide, 7:42 a.m.; high tide, 1:53 p.m.; sunset, 4:56 p.m.)
2. Salem High School's boys' varsity basketball team will host Peabody Veterans Memorial High School tonight. The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m., so if you're free, consider stopping by to cheer them on.
3. Thursday sure was a wet and windy day in Salem. Members of the Salem Police Department responded to multiple calls reporting downed wires and fallen tree branches that were blocking local roadways. Click Here for today's Salem Patch police log post.
4. A new Stephen Lynch for Senate Facebook page popped up Thursday morning with a link to a “Stephen Lynch for US Senate Announcement” YouTube video that announces Lynch’s Senate candidacy. Click Here to read our full story.
5. Today in History: On Feb. 1, 2003, the Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated during re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere, killing all seven astronauts aboard.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.