5 Things You Need to Know Today: Nov. 19
Here are the five things you need to know before you start your day in Salem.
Today is Monday, Nov. 19, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It will be an unseasonably warm day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be sunny, with a high near 48. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 33. (sunrise, 6:40 a.m.; low tide, 8:59 a.m.; high tide, 3:18 p.m.; sunset, 4:17 p.m.)
2. The 7-Eleven on Norman Street was reportedly robbed at gunpoint Friday night. Salem Police Department detectives are currently reviewing surveillance footage of the robbery and are working on identifying the suspect. Click Here for all the details.
3. At their meeting Thursday night, City Council members unanimously approved the appointment of Karen Partanean, to replace Doug Bollen as Salem's director of Park, Recreation and Community Services. Click Here for our full story.
4. We asked, you answered and we received some great entries to our Salem Patch Facebook page cover photo contest. Voting opens today, so, Click Here, scroll through our photos, pick your choice to win and tell us which in the comments section by indicating the picture number.
5. Today in History: On Nov. 19, 1863, Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg address at the dedication of the military cemetery ceremony in Gettysburg, Penn.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.