5 Things You Need to Know Today: Jan. 30
Our daily digest of facts to keep you in-the-know on everything Salem.
Welcome to 5 Things You Need to Know Today, your place for useful facts. We'll provide this early morning digest each weekday to keep Salemites and Salem Patch users in-the-know.
- The City's "CFL" swap has been extended until Feb. 10. Until that time, you'll have the opportunity to exchange incandescent lightbulbs for others, which save energy and money. For more information, click here.
- Congratulations to resident Matthew Sanford. Matthew made the Dean's list at St. Michael's college in Vermont. Sanford is a sophomore and is taking on biology as his major. Congratulations on your achievement.
- Steampunk enthusiasts, mark your calendars now. The Salem Athenaeum has scheduled a night dedicated to the history of Steampunk in an exhibition called Clockwork and Cocktails. The event will include cocktails and "inspirational dress." Click here to RSVP.
- The National Weather Service is predicting sunny skies with a high near 38 degrees today. Wind gusts may be as high 30 mph. Tonight, we'll have a 30 percent chance of snow.
- Speaking of snow, a big thanks to resident Beverlie McSwiggin who reminded us of some very snowy memories from last year. She shared some photos from Jan. 29, last year and some snow-free photos from this year. Check them out at 10 a.m. Thanks for sharing, Beverlie.