5 Things You Need to Know Today: Jan 11
Our daily digest of facts to keep you in-the-know on everything Salem.
Welcome to 5 Things You Need to Know Today, your place for useful facts. We'll provide this early morning digest each weekday to keep Salemites and Salem Patch users in-the-know.
- Here's some news from the collegiate world — Senior at Washington College in Chestertown, Md., Victoria Leach of Salem, was recognized for academic excellence and achieving a grade point average of 3.4 or higher for the Fall 2011 semester. She is majoring in history and her parents are Mr. and Mrs. David A. Leach. Congratulations, Victoria.
- Another congrats is in order for resident Nicholas Marfongelli. Providence College reports that the member of the class of 2014 had a successful Fall semester with a 3.55 grade point average, qualifying him for the Dean's list. Way to make Salem proud.
- It's a day full of milestones! We learned that the Gulu Gulu Cafe family had some special news on Monday. According to the Cafe Facebook page the owners welcomed a baby girl. Best wishes to mom and baby.
- A big thanks to reader Susan Major who captured a great photo of Friday's bonfire Christmas tree pile before fire was added to it. Check out her shot attached to this article.
- We made a blooper on the new address for Mighty Aphrodite the other day. The shop officially reopened yesterday at 7 Central St. For more, check the business Facebook Page.