5 Things (And Festivus) Dec. 7
Here are the five things you need to know before you start your day in Salem.
Today is Friday, Dec. 7, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be a pleasant day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be mostly cloudy, with a high near 46. Tonight should be rainy, with a low around 37. (sunrise, 7:00 a.m.; low tide, 11:11 a.m.; sunset, 4:10 p.m.; high tide, 5:21 p.m.)
2. The City Council voted Thursday night nine to one to raise the average single-family residential property tax for next year by $71 and condo owners by $100. It voted to keep the business tax rates at the same 1.65 percent split. The average commercial tax bill will be $15,481. Click Here for our full story.
3. The Festivus 5k will take place Sunday morning in Salem. So, get your festivus pole out of the attic, prepare to air your greivances and consider stopping by this local feat of strength. Click Here for all the details.
4. Looking to move to Salem or looking for a new home in the city? Every Friday, we provide a list of local homes holding open houses on Sunday. Click Here for this week's installment of House Hunt, which features 10 great local homes.
5. Today in History: On Dec. 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, was attacked by the Imperial Japanese Navy, resulting in a declaration of war upon Japan by the United States.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.