5 Things (And a New Car Dealership)
Here are the five things you need to know before you start your day in Salem.
Today is Friday, Dec. 28, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It will be another chilly day in Salem. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be mostly sunny, with a high near 37. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 26. (sunrise, 7:12 a.m.; high tide, 10:57 a.m.; sunset, 4:18 p.m.; low tide, 5:15 p.m.)
2. A new North Shore Mazda dealership will soon open at the former Stutz Volvo dealership on Highland Avenue, according to this Salem News story. A photograph of the site is attached to this post. If you need more evidence, new stickers were attached to the windows that said "Zoom Zoom" and a Mazda is now parked inside.
3. Congressman Edward Markey, D-7th, announced Thursday morning that he will throw his hat in the ring for Sen. John Kerry's seat, if Kerry is appointed U.S. Secretary of State. Click Here for all the details.
4. Want to eat your lunch and donate money to a great cause at the same time? Stop by Salem's Wendy's this afternoon and part of your purchase will be donated to Massachusetts Vest-A-Dog. Click Here for all the details.
5. Today in History: On Dec. 28, 1867, the United States claimed the Midway Atoll, the first territory annexed outside of Continental limits.
For more things going on in Salem today, check out our events calendar.