Need some help with your Christmas shopping? If you have little guys or girls on your list, check out these gift ideas. All gifts can be found right here in Salem.
- A Solar Grasshopper from Frankensteins Art — For $15, you can take home a solar grasshopper and its habitat — a cool cage the gift-getter can decorate. The bug moves around in its habitat when the sun shines and kids learn all about the power of solar energy from the provided material.
- Calico Critters from Mud Puddle Toys — These are all the rage and for $22, you can get an entire family of adorable hedgehogs, pandas, or little white mice.
- A Monkey Shine Studio sock monkey from Crunchy Granola Baby — Handmade in Allston, MA, you can pick up one of these adorable creatures for about $40. They are colorful, fun, and full of personality. They even come with a name.
- "A Walk Through Salem" story book by author and illustrator Chris Dowgin — The story is cool, but kids will have even more fun figuring out the location of each Salem-based illustration.
- A Day at the New England Pirate Museum — It's what every little swashbuckler wants.
- Sophie the Giraffe from Hip Baby Gear — Let's face it, sometimes the little ones are more interested in the torn-off wrapping paper than the actual gift. This little animal will get their attention. This toy/teether is adorable, practical and only $22.99.
- Jewelry Kits from Boston Bead Company — Spanning a huge price and age range, these do-it-yourself kits are great for the female tweens and teens on your list.
- A gift certificate to Rita's Italian Ice — When the weather starts to warm up, they'll be happy they had a gift they had to wait for.
- Magformers from Mud Puddle Toys — This product seems endlessly entertaining. Kids can build, play, and connect the multi-colored, multi-faceted toys. I have a feeling big kids will love this too. Prices range from $20 to $70 per set.
- Old school games and systems from Game Zone — You probably have a gamer on your list. Stop into this shop for classic systems, the original Nintendo and Atari, or the largest selection of vintage cartridges you have ever seen. How cool would it be to play Duck Hunt against the little ones on Christmas morning?
What are you waiting for? Get out there and let the shopping begin!
Shopping ideas come from Salem resident and shopping expert Jennifer Saphier Whitman. Be sure to read Jennifer's shopping column chronicling her own journey to shop locally every Sunday.